As most of us know, advancements in technology over recent years have led to many improvements both in our personal and work lives. However, it has also opened up a can of worms when it comes to criminal activity. Cybercrime and cyber attacks have become increasingly common, with some causing more damage than others. Some cyber attacks are aimed at businesses while others are aimed at consumers or both. If you fall victim to a major cyber attack, you could experience huge issues particularly if you run a business.
In order to survive massive cyber attacks, you need to make sure you are prepared. Cyber attacks are very common, but from time to time major attacks occur and can cause complete havoc. By finding ways to prepare for a major cyber attack you are far more likely to get through it without getting scathed. You will also benefit from greater peace of mind in the knowledge that you are prepared for any massive cyber attacks that come your way.
It is important to remember that a major cyber attack won’t just affect your personally but could affect a huge number of services and businesses. This could mean everything from banks and utility companies through to government agencies and medical services. Even things such as traffic light signals could be affected, causing chaos on the roads.
Some of the ways you can prepare for these attacks
There are a number of different ways in which you can prepare yourself for major cyber attacks. If and when an attack such as this comes along, you will be in a far better position because you have already prepared for this eventuality. All too often, people think they know enough to be able to avoid attacks such as these – and then end up falling victim to them because they haven’t taken time to prepare for the possibility. Of course, you cannot prepare for every eventuality – for instance, if traffic light signals go down as a result of a cyber attack there is little you can do personally other than find an alternative means of getting around.
So, how you can prepare for a massive cyber attack in order to keep yourself protected? Well, here are some tips that can help you:
- Make sure your computer is protected: There are various ways in which you can protect your system these days, including antivirus software, firewalls, and other forms of security. You need to make sure you have proper security in place in order to reduce the chances of falling victim to a cyber attack. Of course, you need to bear in mind that while this may protect your personal system, a massive cyber attack could still affect the systems of service providers that you have used and that have your information.
- Opt for credit rather than debit card when purchasing online: A massive cyber attack could result in a breach of security, such as customer payment card details being compromised. You can reduce the personal risk to yourself by making sure you use a credit card rather than debit card when making online purchases. This is because you will have some level of protection if your credit card details are used following a cyber attack. You should also try and stick to credit cards for off-line transactions, as cyber criminals can still access your card details if they access the databases of companies you have used.
- Don’t save any passwords to your computer: Another thing you need to avoid is saving passwords to your computer. You should never do this on a shared computer anyway. However, even doing it on your personal computer can be risky, as if you fall victim to a cyber attack you could find that others are able to easily access various accounts and services that you use. This means that they can also obtain personal details that you may have entered, putting you at risk of crimes such as identity theft and fraud.
- Have some cash available in the home for emergencies: A cyber attack could result in you being unable to access your cash from the ATM for a long period of time. With this in mind, it is advisable to have at least some cash available in the home so that you are not left completely without funds in the event of a major cyber attack.
- Make sure you have plenty of food and water stashed away: While you may not associate this with a cyber attack, the fact is that a major attack can affect all sorts of services. While there are some things you can go without, food and water aren’t amongst them. Therefore, you need to make sure you have food and water stocked up in the event of a massive cyber attack because you will have no idea which services will be affected.
- Ensure you are prepared for power outages: Another thing you might end up facing in the event of a major cyber attacks is power outages. Being without gas and electricity for a day or so might be fine, but over a longer term will be a nightmare. Make sure you have some sort of backup in place, such as candles for lighting, battery powered lamps, and even a generator.
It can be difficult to fully prepare for a major cyber attack, as you never know how it is going to affect you and your loved ones. However, looking at your essential needs and thinking about the best ways to protect yourself can help. One of the problems is that it is also impossible to tell how long a major cyber attack will last or how impactful it will be. It could affect everything from access to food and water to accessing warmth, electricity, money, and more. These are all factors that you need to consider in order to try and protect yourself in the event of such an attack.